Wednesday 1 May 2013

Simple Living - postscript

Wow - that post yesterday was a lot easier and more positive than I expected.

It was easier because I feel like I know what I want.  I'm not as pulled in different directions as I once used to feel, when I was battling my love of film and cities and excitement with my love of mothering and peace and country living.  I seem to write the same things and think of the same ideas when I ask myself what I want.

It was more positive because some of the excerpts in the book I was reading cautioned against writing down "society's answer" or trying to imitate someone else's simple life rather than pursuing my own version of what that means.  This paragraph was particularly poignant:

"If no one else were watching, if no one else would give you approval or disagree, and if you never had t explain what you were doing to a parent, a friend, or someone at your 25th high school reunion, what would it look like?"

As I thought about that, I realized that I have shed all longings and desires to please or conform to society.  I am comfortable with who I am and the things I pursue, and the reasons for which I run after them.  This journey to a more simple life will likely not be life-altering for me, just a bit more of a course correction on a path I'm already walking.

No comments: