Saturday 2 June 2012

Waiting...

I think the neatest thing about giving birth is that you have absolutely no idea when it is about to happen.  Seriously - I feel nothing now, but in five minutes I might be crouched over in the pain of a contraction, with a baby in my arms before the end of the day.  Just that thought is so exciting.  Now?  Maybe now?  Maybe in the next five minutes?  Maybe I'll wake up in the middle of the night?  (That has never happened to me.)

Because my labours start off hard and fast, there is little time for "waiting out the easy part."  I hear stories from people, or read advice in articles, about trying to keep your mind off the early labour by going for a walk, heading to the mall, and most importantly taking a nap to rest up.  Ha ha ha!  From the first pain I feel I have to go right into focus mode to try and see myself through it all.  The "good" thing about that is there's no building impatience for things to really get going.  I'm right in the thick of it from the start.

Hmmm, nope, no contractions yet.  Maybe in the next five minutes...

No comments: