Thursday 1 March 2012

How I am spoiling my Ben

So the last two weeks of Benjamin in his toddler bed have been adventurous. We certainly haven't had the trouble that some of my friends have related, but it wasn't smooth sailing, either. This is the latest we've done the switch over from the crib (the older two boys were less than 18 months) and that may play a big part in it.

Night time usually results in us having to tell Benjamin to get back into bed several times. Luckily his doorknob is tricky, so he usually can't get out and come downstairs. We often hear him wandering around in his room. We took the night light out so there isn't anything to look at, and we don't keep toys in their rooms so there is nothing to play with. Our biggest problem is that he sometimes tries to wake Caleb up, who is asleep the moment his head hits the pillow. This usually only lasts about half an hour, and only occasionally do we have to take him out of the room to soothe him to sleep. Things are usually quiet within an hour of bedtime.

Nap times have been slightly less successful. The hard part is that the transition happened to coincide with that period of trying to give up the nap. I hit this with the older boys also, just past two. They think they don't want to nap, but I found if I persevere they come out the other end being super nappers. During the day the boys are at school, so it's just Benjamin and I (for now, at least!) I put him down for nap, and he usually puts up a fuss for 15 or 20 minutes. He calls out for me, and tries to talk to me. Eventually he falls asleep on the wood floor in front of his door. Then, of course, when he comes to the wake part of his sleep cycle (after 45 minutes), he realizes he's uncomfortable and on the floor and cries out. So I go in, scoop him up and bring him into my bed, where he promptly falls asleep for another 2 hours.

Yes, I am subconsciously aware that I am spoiling him. But there is nothing like sleeping next to your beautiful two year old, watching his peaceful face and listening to his steady deep breath. I absolutely love these naps. I doze for half of it, and read for the other half. Or I just lie there and watch him sleep. I've never had this luxury before, since I always had another kid sleeping at the same time and had to be somewhere I could get to either kid. And in four months I won't be able to do it any more with Benjamin. So while I know that in four months it might be a hard habit to break, for now, I'm just going to relish in it.

1 comment:

Erin said...

I think we only think we're spoiling kids by doing things like this because we're afraid we won't be able to get them out of the habit. Of those who are married...who doesn't feel lonely in an empty bed? Kids love sleeping with other people just as much as we all do. Love this time. It passes too quickly. Is his bed big enough to snuggle him down to sleep then creep quietly out?