Monday 10 October 2011

Giving thanks

We have a tradition at our family Thanksgiving meal to go around the table and name one thing we are thankful for. This year's thanks included family, a new baby to arrive soon, the beautiful countryside (me), the gorgeous weather, "that everyone I love could come and be here for dinner and Thanksgiving" (Colin) and "That I don't have to go to school on Monday." (Caleb) Kids personalities shine through in everything!

But I am grateful for so much. The fall in Canada here is stunning. We have had more than a week now of summer temperatures, clear and bright blue skies, deep red, burnt orange and golden yellow displays of turning leaves that take your breath away. The fields are in harvest, looking like an old patchwork quilt over the rolling hills, and the countrysides are dotted with the orange of pumpkin patches. Blue skies are the number one thing that always settle me into a peaceful calm.

I am grateful for my family even more right now than ever. James and I have several friends and family members who are having marital problems. He looked at me last night and said "is it just me, or are marriages crumbling all around us?" We sat with each other for a minute, in a moment of silence that expressed our mutual gratitude for the beautiful relationship and forever family that we have.

Life is good. Life is change, but change is good.

No comments: