Friday 16 September 2011

The Power of Moms

The Power of Moms: a gathering place for deliberate mothers.

The above is a website I touch in on now and then. These ladies have devised a program where they have created 12 "powers" that women can develop as they become more deliberate in their parenting. "What do you yearn in your life as a mother?" they ask. The answer they have come up with after speaking with so many moms is peace, purpose, order, and joy. The 12 powers are subdivisions of those goals, things that can help you achieve what you want. On the site are many essays on these ideas, stories from people who are working on one and achieving some level of success, and tips on how to apply it in your own life.

The power of acceptance, love, patience, individuality, intention, progress, balance, priorities, organization, fun, optimism, and moments.

Yes, these are definitely areas I either cherish in myself or have a desire to develop further. And because this is a site for moms by moms, it is no surprise that September focuses on the power of organization. (Because the new year really starts in September, not January!)

Organization is something I've always struggled with. Yes, with the aid of a fridge calendar, I manage not to miss any appointments or double book myself. But in terms of my "domain" (my home) there is much less deliberate action happening. I know how important lists and goals are, and yet I haven't found a system that works for me yet.

So I'm trying again. This morning I picked up an agenda of my very own (and yes, it is one where the "year" starts in September!) Standing in the office supply store, I yearned to treat myself to a nice agenda, one of those little binders that fits in your purse and you refill every year from the piles of packets available. Instead, I bought something less expensive, to see if I actually make any use of it. If it works, maybe I'll get myself a nice one in January.

What I'm hoping to do is sit down at night, just before going to bed, and jot down a to-do list for the next day. I want to include:

- 1 housework chore
- 1 laundry chore (washing, folding, putting away, organizing)
- plan for dinner (so that I can have everything I need for a healthy meal)
- 1 job around the house that I've been "meaning to get to"
- 1 friend contact (phone call, writing a letter or email)
- 1 fun activity to do with the boys

6 things to begin with. There may be a few more things I will need to jot down as well, but I want to start with at least that. I think if I got that done every day, I will be miles further down the road of organization. And since Caleb starts school next week, I'm hoping to have a little more time to actually do some of the things I've been neglecting for the past 6 years!

No comments: