Wednesday 13 July 2011

Colinism

Yesterday a Lego catalogue came in the mail. (Thank you, Lego. Can you hear the sarcasm dripping in my voice? Now my 3 year old is begging for the Star Wars Death Star Lego, priced for parents of all kids at $500!!!!!) As Colin was flipping through, he was pronouncing with amazement the theme of each page:

"Oooh! Star Wars! Look, there''s Luke Skywalker, and there's the Death Star!"
"Oooh, look at this space station and the rocket and the space ships!"
"Oooh, this lego train actually has a remote control and drives on its own!"

Then, he flipped a page an exclaimed:

"Oooh, look, it's (dramatic pause) Hah-rrry Pottahh."

"What's that, Colin?" I ask, caught off guard.
"Here, it's a train with (dramatic pause) Hah-rrry Pottahh."

Now I'm stifling a laugh, both at the pause he gives so nonchalantly before saying Harry Potter with a heavily rolled R and a genuine upper class British accent.

"I'm sorry, it's what?" I can't resist baiting him.
"(dramatic pause) Hah-rrry Pottahh."
"Where did you hear about Harry Potter?"
"I saw a preview once for it, on a movie at Grandma and Grandpa's."

Now it's starting to make a little more sense. I can just imagine the preview, with that older lady who plays his teacher calling out Harry Potter with her stiff accent, rolled R, and a slight pause for dramatic effect before she calls his name.

James and I laughed all day every time Colin said it.

No comments: