Friday 13 May 2011

Colinism

On the way back from our downtown appointment with the eye surgeon, it was terribly hot in the car, so I rolled the windows down for a little relief. The wind caused so much noise that it was impossible for Colin and I to chat, or even listen to the radio. So I drove in silence, lost in my own thoughts. In the back, I caught snippets of Colin's little game. He had a tiny figure from a Kinder Egg Surprise, and filled an entire hour with his imagination. I caught pieces about space ships and pirate ships and rescue missions and adventures and instructions from the captain and countdowns to explosions. In the rearview mirror I could see Colin moving the little figure all over, flying overhead and climbing up the carseat, scaling the window and hanging from the roof handle. As I watched, I caught glimpses of James and his own imagination, and had the feeling that if I could go back in time I would have been able to capture the exact same moment in James' life as a 5 year old. When I recounted Colin's adventures to James, he told me that that spark of adventure never really leaves a guy, he just doesn't share it out in the open once he grows up. I love learning about this amazingly new world of boys.

1 comment:

Mom said...

I wish that all children had the opportunity that 'my boys' have to develop their imagination. It seems today that television and computer games have taken away the ability for children to use their imagination. Trying to get children to write fiction stories is so difficult. I remember when I was a child, I was often found making up stories - either through play or writing them.