Wednesday 26 January 2011

Calebites

While Caleb and Benjamin were quietly and calmly playing this afternoon, I was finishing up a sewing project in the kitchen. As I wrapped up, I came into the playroom to gather the boys to head out. A quick glance at Caleb revealed faint smudges around his mouth.

"Did you eat something?"
Sheepish nod.
"What?"
Points to the floor. My eyes follow and land on the container of chocolate chips. Correction, the container that used to contain chocolate chips! Caleb gave me this half-grin that said "I don't know if I was supposed to or not, but darn it, it was so good and I don't regret it at all."
"Did you eat them all?"
Sheepish nod.
"How many were there?"
He holds up his fingers and counts really quickly: "onetwothreefourfivesixseveneightnineteneleventwelvethirteenfourteenfifteen- that many!"
He cannot count any higher yet. I can only assume that it means there were a lot. My saving grace is that it was an old container, and I have a big bag of Chippits I'm using now, so I think it was mostly empty.)
"Did you get them out of the cupboard?"
"No, Benjamin did."

I couldn't get mad at him; really, he didn't know specifically that he shouldn't snack on a container of chocolate chips, especially since Benjamin was the one who took them out. And he was so darn cute with that face, staring up with big blue eyes, totally innocent. I love that boy.

No comments: