Sunday 27 June 2010

Vegetables for dinner, part two

Vegetable Mom showed up again the other day. This time I had not had time to go grocery shopping. Now honestly, we keep a 3 month food storage in the house. There is always food to eat. But I was sulking a little because James hadn't organized himself well enough to allow me time to grocery shop. So I served vegetables for dinner, because "that's all we had."

I served carrots, small roasted potatoes, corn, and green beans. (Yes, I know that corn is a grain, not a vegetable, but it gets thrown in that group often enough I count it as one). Nice big helpings of each one. It went over surprisingly well. Everyone ate everything on their plate; not one morsel was left to be scraped into the compost, a rarity at our table. Of course, the homemade cheese sauce I made probably helped in that. I figured I had to give them something if I was only going to serve vegetables.

In the end, everything really liked it. Well, Colin and I really liked it as a meal, and James and Caleb's stomachs really liked it after the fact, since their digestive systems are often gummed up with breads and grains. All in all, a resounding success.

Vegetable Mom strikes again!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

First, I love Ben's bug-eyed look lol! Second, mind sharing that cheese sauce recipe? I share James and Caleb's aversion to veggies.