Tuesday 29 June 2010

The Sound of Music

I picked up my Dad's guitar from my sister's house the other day. As I walked out to the car, I felt very much like the image of Maria from the film "The Sound of Music." The case is well loved and when you carry it the handle causes a gentle swing.

Not that I don't already have enough instruments I'm learning. I'm still a novice on the flute, and a few months back I had my Poppy's trumpet fixed up as well. I rarely get in practice time on the piano, although I try to at least sit and play through some favourite songs once a week. But I have been wanting to learn the guitar for years. The piano is wonderful for singalongs, except that it's not exactly portable. With our upcoming camping trip, a planned group music class to teach in the fall, and these gorgeous summer days spent in the backyard, learning the guitar finally seems natural.

Surprisingly (for me) I was actually able to pick out a bunch of songs. I laid open both the Raffi and the Eva Cassidy songbooks and found my way through some easy chords and songs. Benjamin bounced in his Exersaucer, the boys and James ran through the sprinkler, and I strummed and sang away some of our favourite tunes. I have tried many times in the past to pick it up and learn, but never had much success. Yesterday it just seemed to come to me.

No comments: