Saturday 19 June 2010

Colinisms

Tonight Colin "read" (from memory) the entire book "The Polar Express." It was Caleb's request, but when I opened it to the first page, Colin started reciting the story. He got through the first page, then the second, then the third...and continued on until we reached the end. Often he would even start the sentence from the next page before I had a chance to turn it, showing that he didn't even need any picture prompts. I would venture to say he got it 98% right, and only needed two prompts (and each prompt only needed to be one word before he was off again). All this while Caleb was having a major meltdown, crying and screaming at the top of his lungs. I don't know how he focused enough to remember it all, but he did. The writing is quiet poetic, each sentence very lyrical. It was quite beautiful to hear such poetry coming from the small voice of a four year old. Once again Colin's fantastic memory amazes me.

No comments: