Sunday 27 December 2009

The days go by

There is something magical about the first week of a baby's life. I look down into Benjamin's eyes as I cuddle him in my arms, and I realize that he will never be just a few days old again. After week one, you start to count his age in weeks. But these first few days are simply amazing as I think to myself "you are only 3 (or 4, or 5) days old. It's like I can't wrap my head around just how tiny and young that is! Truly, it feels like he's always been a part of our family.

The boys are head over heels for their baby brother. Caleb constantly stops what he's doing to inquire where Benjamin is, just to make sure he's okay. They both love to cuddle him, and give him kisses and hugs all throughout the day.

Benjamin is doing great. He's taken to breastfeeding really well, and, like Caleb, seems to get most of his meals within 10 - 15 minutes. Which is really nice, as it means I don't have to spend hours and hours each day sitting and feeding. I guess my milk flow is really strong. He also hasn't taken to long bouts of crying. He fusses a little when he's hungry, but when he's not eating or sleeping, he likes to just sit and look around at the world. His eyes seem to slowly scan all around him, as though he just wants to observe and take it all in.

The one trouble we have is his congestion. He has trouble lying down, which means that we need to hold him upright a lot. It also means that some nights (every other night or so) I stay awake and hold him in my arms at an oblique angle so he can breathe better while he sleeps. I'm hoping it's just related to the delivery (mucous and such) and that it will clear out soon.

Most of all, I am amazed at the feeling over overwhelming love I experience when I hold him. Just like the other two boys, my heart seems to grow and multiply in its emotional capacity with each baby. I spend a lot of time just gazing down at my little boy, basking in the pure sense of joy that fills me. There is nothing better than being a mother.

No comments: