Thursday 21 May 2009

Green and Blue

I have just had the pleasure of spending ten minutes at my bedroom window, the spring breeze on my face, the sunshine spilling from the sky. I was noting the brilliant colour of green which is peculiar to nature. I have seen crayons called "grass green", and seen paintings of landscapes attempting to capture the hues, but I realized today I have never really seen anything able to capture the real brilliance of that shade of green. Then I traced the tall trees into the endless blue sky and realized that "sky blue" replications have never really imitated that empty, enduring blue of the sky. Last of all I marvelled at the juxtaposition of that green against that blue, and thought I had never seen a more perfect picture of beauty. I have always been taken by wandering landscapes and held breathless by the beauty of the natural world. It is difficult to describe exactly what it is about each scene, different and unique to any other, that holds me. Perhaps I have discovered to that it is not "that set of trees" or "that tumbling mountain" or "that sea meeting sand", but instead the impression of amazing and unreproducible colours that is the essence of the beauty.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you think THAT green is beautiful, you should drive around Ireland - there are so many shades of green there, it's absolutely incredible! :-)

Mom