Saturday 21 March 2009

Big boy

Today my "little" boy got dressed all by himself - without me even in the room. And he wanted to surprise me by doing it (he asked me to take Caleb into the nursery and to close his door. Not knowing what he was up to, you can bet I listened hard through the walls!) When I finally went in, there he was with his shirt (on the right way), underwear (thank goodness!) and jeans (on backwards). I casually mentioned the "drawstring in the back of the jeans" and he said that was the way he wanted them on. Not wanting to spoil the moment, I left it at that. He wore them backwards all day.

I don't know why this feels like such a huge step to independence for me, even more than toilet training, but it does. I have a yearning to keep dressing him myself, but I know this is only the first of a hundred ways I have to let go.

No comments: