Friday 16 January 2009

Music preferences

A good friend picked up Colin to drive him to preschool the other day. The radio was on, playing in the background. As they drove, Colin suddenly exclaimed:

"I love this song!"
"You know this song, Colin?"
"Yes I do. It's Michael Jackson! (singing:) "You gotta be starting something, gotta be starting something. Too high to get over, too low to get under, you're stuck in the middle, you're a festival..."

Indeed, it was. My friend found it both astonishing and endearing that my little three-year old knew, recognized and loved the music of Michael Jackson. I laughed with her about it afterwards, admitting that while we have a few CDs of Raffi, and Sharon, Lois and Bram, we play all sorts of music for our boys: showtunes, inspirational, pop/rock, classical, jazz. Admittedly, Michael Jackson is a favourite for the boys, because it lends itself so well to dancing in the living room, one of our favourite pastimes.

No comments: