Thursday 28 August 2008

Celebrity

Last night my mother-in-law and I ventured downtown to a Celine Dion concert. I'm not a huge concert goer; in fact I've only been to three other concerts in my life (excluding the symphony). I love music, but just could never justify shelling out the money demanded to see the musicians in person. These tickets were a gift through our business, which is how we ended up in the 19th row at the Air Canada Centre last night to see Celine.

The show was fantastic. Her voice alone is incredible, and then add the lights, the costumes, the dancers, the other musicians, the videos and the atmosphere - definitely a show worth taking in. I haven't followed her latest albums, but I especially love her French music, and I grew up listening to many of her English songs also.

She sang a great mix of classic favs and new selections; she seemed to know exactly what the crowd wanted to hear. But the highlight of the night was when she announced to the crowd that she "just couldn't do any concert without singing one song in French". I was ecstatic, as I was not expecting her to sing in French in Toronto. And then, of all the songs on all the albums, she sang my favourite song of all: "Pour Que Tu M'aimes Encore". ("So that you'll love me once more") This song encapsulates the beauty of the French language in poetic imagery that just makes me smile. For those of you who read French, I've included the words. For those of you who don't, Celine did sing an English translation of the song, however it only captures the meaning of the lines, and misses the poetry completely.

But before the song, I should include one more comment on the concert, which led to the title of this blog entry. With thousands of fans in a sold-out crowd on their feet to welcome Celine Dion, and as she stepped out and sang, I realized this: she is just another person. High above there was a massive video screen to show close-ups of her singing, and looking at the screen her flawless skin and styled hair and expensive clothing spoke of Celine the Celebrity. She seemed untouchable and far away; an image and a life completely unattainable by an "ordinary person". But looking at her, in person, on stage, she looked so small, no bigger than the dancers and singers and musicians. For she really isn't larger than life. She is just another person.

I have never been impressed by celebrity; I can't think of anyone famous that would make me weak in the knees or take my breath away. There are a few people I would like to sit down and have lunch with and talk about their experiences, but nothing more. But I do admit I get caught up in the glamour of the idea of celebrity, the seeming perfection of beauty. Last night was a good reminder that the TV image, the magazine image, the film image, that we see of these people are a fabrication, and behind them all are just people.

All that being said, Celine is an incredible performer and I loved every second of the concert!

***

"Pour Que Tu M'aimes Encore"

J'ai compris tous les mots, j'ai bien compris, merci
Raisonnable et nouveau, c'est ainsi par ici
Que les choses ont change, que les fleurs ont fane
Que le temps d'avant, c'etait le temps d'avant
Que si tout zappe et lasse, les amours aussi passent

Il faut que tu saches

J'irai chercher ton coeur si tu l'emportes ailleurs
Meme si dans tes danses d'autres dansent tes heures
J'irai chercher ton ame dans les froids dans les flammes
Je te jetterai des sorts pour que tu m'aimes encore

Fallait pas commencer m'attirer me toucher
Fallait pas tant donner moi je sais pas jouer
On me dit qu'aujourd'hui, on me dit que les autres font ainsi
Je ne suis pas les autres
Avant que l'on s'attache, avant que l'on se gache

Il faut que tu saches

J'irai chercher ton coeur si tu l'emportes ailleurs
Meme si dans tes danses d'autres dansent tes heures
J'irai chercher ton ame dans les froids dans les flammes
Je te jetterai des sorts pour que tu m'aimes encore

Je trouverai des langages pour chanter tes louanges
Je ferai nos bagages pour d'infinies vendanges
Les formules magiques des marabouts d'Afrique
J'les dirai sans remords pour que tu m'aimes encore

Je m'inventerai reine pour que tu me retiennes
Je me ferai nouvelle pour que le feu reprenne
Je deviendrai ces autres qui te donnent du plaisir
Vos jeux seront les notres si tel est ton desir
Plus brillante plus belle pour une autre etincelle
Je me changerai en or pour que tu m'aimes encore

No comments: