Wednesday 13 August 2008

Adrenaline

I've been tuning in now and then on our bunny ears teeny tiny television to the Olympics. I love sports of all kinds - playing and watching. But the Olympics has a different edge to it. You really get the feeling that people are competing against themselves, to achieve personal bests. I truly believe when athletes say they are excited just to be a part of the team for their country. I'm sure there is nothing like winning a gold medal, breaking a world record, reaching the podium. But with the thousands of athletes competing, most know they probably won't reach that dream this year. And still you can see the joy in their faces as they don the colour of their country and step out onto the world stage.

I can feel the adrenaline running through my veins as I watch. I might be viewing a swimming event in which I have never participated, or a field hockey match that is near and dear to my heart - either way I feel that excitement in me of competition and performance. I know the joy of winning and the heartache of loss. I love to see the expressions on an athletes face after they win a competition - a mixture of elation and exhaustion. I watch and feel as a fellow athlete sharing in the victory.

No comments: