Monday 30 June 2008

"I Will Go and Do"

"I will go and do the things which the Lord has commanded, for I know the Lord giveth no commandment unto the children of men save he shall prepare a way that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them." (1 Nephi 3:7)

I received a great compliment today. A couple of friends came over unexpectedly today and so the house was in a bit or a whirlwind from a busy morning. As I discreetly picked up diapers and tissues and little car toys from the couch, I invited them to sit down and to please ignore the mess. I could do a little tidying, but the bulk of the mess was the contents of our 72-hour emergency kits. I have been working really hard this month to get these packs complete. Just this morning I dashed out to Canadian Tire to pick up some great knapsacks to keep the contents in (40% off!). The result being that the contents of the kits are currently all over the floor in the living room as I take inventory and distribute the items.

Feeling like less than a perfect housewife amongst all this, my friend turned to me and said "You're like the perfect mom! You've always got everything together." I laughed and commented that in fact, I knew several other moms who fit this description much better than I. I often look to these moms as role-models for myself, vowing that "one day I'll have things together like they do!"

"No way," my friend said. "You are so 'I will go and do'! You're just like Nephi!" (referencing the above scripture). "Everything we're told to make sure we get done, you just go and get done!"

(72-hour emergency kits are one of the recommendations in our church - they recommend that each person be prepared with a kit in case of an evacuation or local emergency).

Then she added: "You wanted to build a fence, or start a garden, and you just go out and do it! It's like you don't even think of whether or not you can - that doesn't seem to be an option for you."

I was so flattered. I mean, I try my best to be the best I can be, and to be bettering myself each day. But it just feels like there is so far to go. And it's not like the light at the end of the tunnel gets closer - in fact, the more steps I take the further away it seems!

Sometimes, though, it takes viewing yourself through someone else's eyes to see how far you've really come. I just put my nose to the grindstone and push away as best I can. And maybe I have come farther than I've realized. It's nice to know that I really am "going and doing" and getting things done!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's funny that you mention your kit, as I have been working on the same thing this week! Although it's bleak to think of ever needing to use such a kit, it has been kind of fun to put together :)

Terri-Ann said...

It's been a lot of fun for us, also. We even have a little knapsack for Colin to carry a few of his own things in. I hope and pray never to have to use it (although after all the preparation it kind of seems like it would be a fun little adventure!) but always better to be prepared.