Sunday 25 May 2008

A Special Conference

I had a marvelous experience today. The Prophet of my church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, visited our congregation today. Hundreds of people came for the conference, a gathering in which we are privileged to hear inspirational talks from different church leaders.

For those of you unfamiliar with my faith, I believe that God has a representative on earth today, in the person of a prophet. Just as in biblical times, we have someone to lead us, teach us, and guide us through the turmoil of these times. Listening to him speak, you would mostly hear him testify of God the Father and Jesus Christ, of their divinity, and of the sacrifice Christ made for us.

It was an unusual event - usually if the prophet, (currently a man named Thomas S. Monson) was coming, it would be to a large venue that would seat the thousands of people in Ontario that would want to see him (a prophet has come twice in my lifetime to Ontario - once to Copps Collesium in Hamilton and once to the International Centre in Mississauga). Today was a smaller visit, back to the city where he served as a Mission President (coordinating missionary work) nearly 50 years ago.

It was a spiritual event, full of guidance and testimonies. I was inspired and renewed once again. But what made the event even more unique for me was that I was invited to be in 60 person choir, to sing for the meeting. We had only two weeks notice, and learned six songs in two rehearsals. It was hard work, but an awesome experience. We were encouraged to raise our own personal spiritual bar during the two weeks of rehearsals, increasing our study of God's word and the fervency of our prayers. This focused spirituality readied us all to be taught by God's spirit at this meeting, and added to the practical preparation we were doing as a choir.

Today, as I raised my voice in song and praise, to invite the Holy Spirit to our meeting, the power of the music filled the entire room, sinking into my heart and into the hearts of the hundreds listening. I have sung and led many choirs in the past, and will participate in many more in the future, but an experience like this will likely never be matched.

"For my soul delighteth in the song of the heart; yea, the song of the righteous is a prayer unto me."

No comments: