Thursday 24 January 2008

He Who Walks with the Wise Grows Wise

Why is it that each next generation now thinks they know better? We look at our parents and say "I see what you've done, but I'm pretty sure I can do it better (without your help)." I read an interesting proverb today: "He who walks with the wise grows wise." There is a reason our society includes our elders - and it's not to hide them away in a place with others of their age. Do you realize that ours is the first age in which 'seniors residences' exist? In time past, older members of the family lived with the younger ones. And it wasn't considered a financial or other type of burden. It was an opportunity for the younger members to take something from their years of experience. No amount of book knowledge can come close to the benefits of experience.

Now I'm not putting down growth and progress. Hopefully, as a society, we are each advancing a little further than the last. But I hope we can try to remember this proverb in our search for wisdom.

No comments: