Friday 22 June 2007

Hide and Seek

Colin has a new game. He thinks it's great - us, not so much. He loves to hide just out of sight, usually when he's up to something he shouldn't be.

I told him it was time for us to to his bedroom to change into his pajamas. He ran and hid behind his stroller. He has the patience of Mother Theresa - he just stands there, breathing loudly, but perfectly still, probably thinking he's completely out of sight.

But my favourite had to be the other day. I can't for the life of me remember why, but I needed him to do something and off he ran, into my bedroom. Now, he is not allowed in my bedroom unsupervised because there are too many things for him to get into. And he is acutely aware of this fact. So I follow him into the bedroom, and as I turn the corner and peek in, I see his little head, impish grin stretching ear to ear, disappear behind the bed. He is crouching out of site, breathing loudly, waiting. I drop to my knees, crawl over to the bed and stick my head up just over the edge.

We wait. A long time.

He breaks first. Like a jack-in-the-box, he jumps to his feet, still grinning. He startles in surprise that I'm so close, then breaks out in a full laugh. He drops to the floor again, disappearing.

We play the game for a while until I finally grab him and get to what we were supposed to be doing.

I love these moments with Colin. Children truly bring out the child in all of us.

No comments: